What are the biggest key insights you’ve gained for your project?
- About half of the students walk, bike, or scooter home
- Kids carry around more than 1 bag
- Kids move from class to class without backpacks, but with bags or binders
- Kids carry all their supplies because they don’t want to forget anything
- School doesn’t allow backpacks in classrooms
- Lockers and cubbies exist but are very small
- Backpacks are not allowed in the classroom because they take up a lot of floor space and students trip
- Teachers all have different systems
- Average weight carried around school is 9.926
- Straps are hurting their shoulders
- The binder breaks easily (zipper, velcro)
- Binders are expensive (~$30-40)
- Disagreement between students and teachers on what the cause of people carrying so much is
- Students do not easily find necessary materials around desks
- Significant portion of time each day devoted to students gathering materials
- Students have too many materials to fit in their backpacks and a lot are unnecessary
- Frequently use paper assignments; rarely have digital assignments
- Students complain about heavy backpacks often
- Students like to share materials with one another
- Large bags enable kids to carry more stuff
- Compartments are good
- Two straps are good
- Average weight/height of male 10 year olds: 88.3 lbs, 56 in
- Average weight/height of female 10 year olds: 90.7 lbs, 56.9 in
- Typical daily load is 8-12 kg (17.6-26.5 lbs) for 12 year olds
- About 5,000 kids visit emergency room each year because of backpack related injuries
- At least 14,000 kids treated for backpack related injuries
What is your new HCW statement?
How can we help 5th grade students at West U Elementary School to easily organize and carry around all their necessary materials in a single consolidated manner?
What are your hopes for your project?
We hope to have a low-fidelity, working prototype by the end of the semester after 2-3 iterations.